This post is also available in: Română
|Type||Pyramid, Archaeological site|
|Age||4560 years old|
|Other names||Khufu’s Pyramid, Cheops’s Pyramid|
|Getting there||Bus, Car. |
Best option: Taxi
October – March 8:00 – 17:00
April – September 7:00 – 19:00
|Travel tips||* Keep small change on you for tips. You’ll need to tip for almost every service.|
* Try to avoid Fridays and Saturdays to visit. Fridays and Saturdays are weekends for most Arab countries and are very busy.
* Most tour buses arrive around 9:30 – 10 am. Start early if you want to avoid the crowds and the heat or go latter to experience the site when is less crowded.
* Every night there is an evening show at the pyramids.
* Have suitable footwear. If you are planning to get inside the pyramids do not wear a dress because you will need to climb stairs.
* A walking tour of the Giza pyramids covers around 6 kilometers. You can use private cars with certified guides and drivers that are allowed to go inside the complex.
* You can hire a camel, horse or horse-drawn carriage inside the complex.
* After you visit The Great Pyramid, Pyramid of Khafra, Pyramid of Menkaura, and The Sphinx don’t forget about the Solar Boat Museum. The boat is at 4,600 years old and is one of the oldest boats in existence believed to be the funerary boat of Khufu.
|Location||Al Haram, Nazlet El-Semman, Al Giza Desert, Giza Governorate, Egypt, Africa|
- The Giza Plateau is home of the Great Pyramid, the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World still standing. Here are the most important and famous archaeological sites in the world.
- The Pyramids help to preserve Ancient Egypt. Giza Archaeologic site allows us to explore a long-vanished world.
- The Great Pyramid was build right on top of the geographical center of Earth.
- Egypt’s pharaohs expected to become gods in the afterlife. The pyramids were built to be massive tombs.
- The Great Pyramid contains three rooms (the King’s Room, the Queen’s Room, and the Great Gallery) created to house the body of Cheops and his wife.
- The ancient name of the Great Pyramid of Giza was Khufu’s Horizon.
- The mortar that was used to build the pyramid cannot be reproduced today. Its chemical composition is known but can’t be reproduced.
- It is estimated that around 2.3 million blocks of stone were used to build the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- The average weight of each stone was around 4 tons.
- The purpose of the Sphinx was to guard the pyramids.
- In 2017, scientists from the ScanPyramids project discovered a large cavity above the Grand Gallery using muon radiography, which they called the “ScanPyramids Big Void“. The purpose of the cavity is not known and it is not accessible yet.
- At completion, the Great Pyramid was once covered in a white casing made of glimmering limestone which was polished and it would reflect the sun’s rays.
- Inside the main chamber of the Great Pyramid lies a granite coffer that is far too large to have fit down the passageway. Historians and archaeological believe that the Great Pyramid was built around the coffer.
- amazing holiday
- ancient egypt
- ancient pyramid
- Ancient World
- city escape
- giza plateau
- Great Pyramid
- Great Pyramid of Giza
- Great Sphinx
- great travel
- holiday and trips
- popular destination
- the Great Pyramid of Giza
- true wonder
- world travel