The Step Pyramid of Djoser is the oldest pyramid in Egypt. 4,700 years ago, Pharaoh Djoser dreamed to build his tomb in a completely new way so Imhotep, the royal architect, fulfills his dream and built this great pyramid.
Travel and Tourist Information
|Type||Pyramid, Ancient Construction, Archaeological Site, UNESCO|
|Other Names||Pyramid of Djoser|
|Ticket Price||18 USD|
|Location||Al Giza Desert, Giza Governorate, Egypt, Africa|
Who was Djoser?
Djoser was an ancient Egyptian pharaoh, the second king of the 3rd Dynasty during the Old Kingdom, and the founder of this epoch. He ruled probably between 2667 and 2648 BC
This pharaoh was also called Djeser and Zoser.
What is the Step Pyramid of Djoser famous for?
- The Step Pyramid of Djoser is the oldest pyramid in Egypt.
- 4,700 years ago, Pharaoh Djoser dreamed to build his tomb in a completely new way. Prior to this, kings were buried in mastabas. He asks for a completely new structure. Imhotep, the famous architect, fulfilled Pharaoh Djoser’s dream and built the first step pyramid.
- The structure of the Step Pyramid is six steps. The step pyramid is made of limestone.
- Beneath the step pyramid is a maze of tunnels and chambers.
- In the center is a 28 meters shaft that and at its bottom, is the burial chamber of King Djoser.
- 17 Egyptian kings built pyramids to house their remains and possessions for the transition to the afterlife in Saqqara, the vast necropolis of the Ancient Egyptian capital, Memphis.
- The transition from the Step Pyramid to a smooth-sided pyramid took place during the reign of King Snefru.
Travel to Egypt
Pharaoh Khufu’s solar boat was moved to the Grand Egyptian Museum
Khufu’s Solar Boat is 4500 years old and is considered to be one of the oldest boats discovered almost intact. It took decades for the reassembly process to complete. It is said that the boat is in use and can sail without problems on the water.
The Grand Egyptian Museum – the largest archeological museum in the world
The Grand Egyptian Museum will contain 100,000 artifacts and will be the largest archaeological museum in the world dedicated to the great Egyptian civilization.
Best Day Trips from Hurghada
Best day trips from Hurghada – Cairo, Giza Pyramids, Sphinx – Valley of the Kings in Luxor – Cairo by Flight – El Gouna City Tour – Sunrise Quad Biking and Giftun Island Snorkeling – Swimming with Dolphins and Snorkeling Tour
Luxor Temple – The Spectacular Religious Center in Ancient Egypt
The Luxor Temple is located on the west bank of the Nile River and was built by famous pharaohs of Egypt (Amenhotep III, Tutankhamun, Horemheb, Rameses II) who built various parts of it but also by the great conqueror Alexander the Great and by the Romans. Each has left its mark on this Temple and gave the spectacular aspect that impresses us today.