This post is also available in: Română
|Other Names||Chersonissos, Hersónisos|
|Getting there||By CAR or By BUS|
25 km from Heraklion
Occasionally ferries dock at the harbor
|Sunbath on the beach|
Aquarium visits (Aquaworld Aquarium)
Golf (Crete Golf Club)
Hiking in nearby villages
Fun in nightclubs
|Location||Hersonissos, Crete, Greece, Europe|
What is Hersonissos famous for?
Hersonissos or Chersonissos offers beautiful beaches, water parks, shops, archeological sites, cafes, taverns with delicious food and aromatic coffee, and nightclubs where you can have fun until the morning.
Nearby there are several picturesque villages Ano Hersonissos, Piskopiano, or Koutouloufari.
Hersonissos hosts the only golf club on the island.
What can you visit?
- Coves of Hersonissos
- The coves are starting from Cape Sarandaris and ends at the harbour of Hersonissos
- They are beautiful beaches with calm waters
- Access to all coves is easy and the surrounding area is well developed.
- Lassithi Plateau
- a plateau with around 10,000 windmills
- Zeus Cave
- Legend has it that Rheea hid Zeus in this cave so his father would not eat him. Here he was cared for by two nymphs who fed him goat’s milk and ragweed.
- Kera Monastery
- The monastery is surrounded by fortified walls and inside there is a miraculous icon.
- Aquaworld Aquarium
- The Ancient city of Chersonesos
- In the modern settlement of Hersonissos is the site of the ancient town of Chersonesos.
- Some traces of those remains, most of them submerged, are still visible in some places:
- On the seaside street, there is a pyramidal Roman fountain with mosaics of fishing scenes.
- On the top of the rocky hill behind the port stand the ruins of an early Christian basilica with mosaics.
- One kilometer to the east of Hersonissos was an ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Britomartis.
Best beaches in Hersonissos
Generally, the beaches are crowded in Hersonissos. Beaches from the East part are much quieter.
- Hersonissos Beach
- sandy beach
- is located on the west of the port
- is the largest beach in Hersonissos
- crowded beach
- all facilities and watersports are available
- Analipsi Beach
- beach with palm trees
- watersports are available
- some rocks in the water
- Naturist Beach
- rocky beach
- nudist beach
- no facilities are available
- Star Beach
- a sandy beach
- bungee-jumping facilities
Beaches close to Hersonissos:
- Anissaras Beach
- a much quiet place
- a village 3 km away from Hersonissos
- you can take a taxi to this village (speak with the driver to pick you up later)
- Stalis Beach
- 3 km from Hersonissos
- bus every 15 minutes
- a beautiful beach
- sunbeds – 5 euros
- shallow waters for a long distance
- near shops, tavernas, and restaurants
Where you can eat good food?
- Sofas Taverna
- Diverse Menu, grilled dishes, traditional dishes, tasteful and delicious, great service
- Taverna Harakas
- delicious Greek food, good wine, cozy atmosphere
- Taverna 1930
- wonderful place, great lamb dishes
- Zaeri all day cafe & restaurant
- nice harbor view, great drinks, nice food, great service
- Kioski Burger & BBQ
- Modern Greek cuisine, good atmosphere
Where you can stay?
- Floral Hotel (5*)
- 150 m from the beach, pool, bar
- Creta Maris Beach Resort (5*)
- next to Blue Flag Hersonissos Beach, all-inclusive, outdoor swimming pools and indoor heated pool, fitness center, children’s playground, open-air cinema, sport’s facilities
- Abaton Island Resort & Spa (5*)
- rooms that offer either an outdoor terrace or private pool or an outdoor hot tub, Beach Bar
- Paul Marie (3*)
- swimming pool, clean and good accommodation, apartments with kitchenette, 4 minutes walk to the beach
- Creta Blue Boutique Hotel (4*)
- boutique hotel, great views of the sea, infinity pool, bar, open-air restaurant, 1 km from the center of Hersonissos
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN CRETE
- amazing holiday
- ancient site
- archaeological site
- Archeological Site
- city escape
- crete attraction
- crete best travel
- great travel
- greek food
- Hersonissos travel
- holiday and trips
- knossos palace
- Minoan civilization
- myth of Daedalus
- myth of the Minotaur
- popular destination
- travel crete
- travel greece
- travel guide crete
- travel guide greece
- travel to crete
- travel to greece
- true wonder
- visit greece
- world travel