Humor Monastery was one of the first of Moldavia's painted monasteries and, along with Voronet, is probably the best-preserved.
|Type||Monastery / UNESCO|
|When to visit|| |
|Location||Manastirea Humorului, Suceava, Romania, Europe|
- Surrounded by hills and mountains, near the river Humor, in a town of perfect beauty is the Humor Monastery.
- The frescos at Humor were painted in 535 by Toma Zugravul and are dominated by reds (the color of red brick)
- The church has been inscribed by UNESCO on its list of World Heritage Sites, as one of the Painted Churches of Moldavia.
- The important religious themes of the fresco are The Akathist of the Annunciation, The Jesse’s Tree, The Last Judgment.
- Humor was one of the first of Moldavia’s painted monasteries and, along with Voronet, is probably the best-preserved.
- The dominant color of the frescoes is a reddish-brown.
- The tombstone of Teodor Bubuiog is situated under his portrait and that of his wife’s. Petru Rares and his wife are both buried in the monastery church as well.
- In 1641 a protective tower was built, with a thick wall of stone, and characteristic of the fortified churches in Transylvania, it has a coronation balcony.
|Top tourist |
| Folk Traditions Museum of Bucovina (5 Km)|
Voronet Monastery (10 Km)
Schitul Daniel Sihastrul (3 Km)