|Getting there||By CAR|
From Heraklion (30 minutes)
From Chania (2:30 H)
From Heraklion (1 H, Price: approx. 4 E)
From Chania (4:30 H, Price: approx. 20 E)
Online tickets: https://www.ktelherlas.gr/en/
|Travel Tips||In Malia, you can rent cars, motorbikes, and quadbikes.|
There are ATM machines in the newer part of Malia.
Have cash with you all the time especially on weekends as sometimes the ATMs are not refilled.
There are 2 supermarkets in Malia and few minimarkets in Malia and in the villages around.
There is a BUS that can take you to the archeological site The Minoan Palace of Malia and this bus is passing along all the beaches of Malia.
|Location||Malia, Crete, Greece, Europe|
What is Malia famous for?
Like the title of this article says Malia is famous for these three things: sand, sea, and sex. Sand and sea because of the obvious reasons and sex because of the nightlife. There is a street, full of clubs and bars, where a lot of tourists party every night. This street is connecting the old village with the beach.
Malia is located 37 kilometers east of Heraklion capital.
The Minoan town ruins lie three km east of the site and cover an area of approximately 1 square kilometer
What can you visit in Malia?
- The Minoan Palace of Malia
- The Minoan ruins lie 3 km east of Malia and have an area of approximately 1 square kilometer
- This is the third-largest Minoan palace in Crete
- Probably Tarmaros is the ancient name of this place but this was not confirmed by any specialist
Malia Minoan palace
- Chapel of Agia Varvara
- a Byzantine chapel located on the beach of Agia Varvara with beautiful frescoes on its walls
- The church of Panagia Galatiani
- the church that was constructed using milk instead of water
- Potamos View Point
- An excellent place for a panoramic view of the sea and the beach
- Krasi village
- 11 km south of Malia
- In the village, there is a square with three ancient plane trees. It is said that the one in the middle is probably the oldest tree in the Mediterranean area.
- From here you can buy olive oil and dairy products
- In the village, you can visit The Church of Metamorphosis Sotiros – known for frescoes and the wooden carved temple inside
- In the village, you can visit Krasi Tomb – A tomb discovered in 1929 by Marinatos. The tomb is on the north side, near the crest, of the hill ‘To Armi’ dominating Krasi village in South West. Starting from the Wend of the cemetery, follow the intermittent footpath up diagonally (15 mins).
- Stalis village
- the village has a sandy beach, a variety of shops, bars, and tavernas
- 3 km west of Malia
- in the village, you can visit the Byzantine church of St. John dating back to 1600
- Mochos village
- 12 km southwest of Malia
- The village is mountainous
- 45 km southeast of Heraklion
The best Malia Beaches
- Central Malia Beach
- Potamos Beach in Malia
- a family-friendly beautiful beach
- Tropical beach in Malia
- Sun beach in Malia
- Paralia Beach
- Small, white beach
- You can rent sunbeds and there are bars close by
Where you can stay in Malia?
- Drossia Palms Hotel and Nisos Beach Suites (3*)
- a beautiful complex with a private pool, beach area, garden with palm trees
- is located 150 m from the Malia beach
- the rooms have a kitchenette
- Akrogiali Beach Hotel Apartments (4*)
- very nice rooms
- close to a blue flag beach
- is located 300 m from the center of Malia
- the rooms have a kitchenette
- Parthenis Beach, Suites by the Sea (3*)
- on the beachfront in Malia
- outdoor swimming pool, games room
- the restaurant serves traditional and international cuisine
- Shops, tavernas and entertainment are within walking distance
- Laplaya Beach (3*)
- beachfront complex
- the hotel has a swimming pool and a bar
- studios and apartments have a kitchenette
- AneSea Hotel (4*)
- the hotel has a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and a shared lounge.
- Mirage Studios (3*, budget stay)
- in the center of Malia
- outdoor swimming pool, garden, and sun terrace
- the beach is 600 m away
- all studios have a kitchen
- Villa Contessa Apartments “by Checkin” (3*, budget stay)
- nice and clean rooms
- Malia Strip is 700 metres away
Where you can eat good food in Malia?
- Geitonia Malia – Cretan Creative Cuisine
- in center of Malia town, excellent food, traditional and modern Greek food, friendly staff
- Candia Taverna
- great fish dishes, traditional food, great service
- The Hub-Taproom And Grill
- a restaurant that serves breakfast, good food
- The Greek Grill
- delicious food, great service
- There are tavernas and restaurants everywhere in Malia
Featured Photo Source: traytablesaway / Pixabay