Munich’s Christmas Market (Christkindlmarkt) in Marienplatz
|Type||Event – Christmas Market|
|Location||Marienplatz (St. Mary’s Square), 80331 Munich, Germany, Europe|
|Open Season||November 27th – December 24th|
Munich’s Christmas Market in Holiday Season
- Every holiday season, Marienplatz is home to Munich’s famous “Christkindlmarkt”.
- Munich’s Christmas market is a great place to buy Bavarian wood carvings, traditional toys, and glass crystals.
- Every day at 5:30 p.m., visitors can enjoy free Christmas concerts (Advent music)on the balcony of Munich’s New Town Hall.
- Until 24.12. visitors of the most traditional market in Munich can look forward to music, handicrafts, mulled wine, and culinary specialties.
- Learn all about ”Kletznbrot” (a type of bread with nuts, fruit, and honey) and ”Fatschnkindl” (a pastry shaped like the baby Jesus in the manger): Free cultural and historical tour of the Christmas Market on the first Sunday of Advent from 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., by certified tour guides of the City of Munich. Meeting place: Christmas tree at Marienplatz square.
- Cultural-historical and culinary guided tours for groups can be booked by telephone +49 (0) 89 233 30 234.
- It was first mentioned in the town records in 1642, but according to Wikipedia, it’s the second oldest in the world, dating back to 1310. Only the Vienna Christmas market is older (1294)
Other Christmas Markets in Munich
- Märchenbazaar (‘fairy tale bazaar’)
- Neuheuser Strasse (Right near the Marienplatz)
- Wintertollwood (The Wintertollwood market on the Theresienwiese is a market where people go to parties, eat food from other countries, buy crafts, and take in some live music.)
- Christkindlmarkt am Sendlinger Tor (The market at Sendlinger Tor is decorated in a traditional way, but has wares on offer from all over the world. Tea, spices, and fragrant oils sit alongside jewelry made from semi-precious stones)
- Weihnachtsmarkt am Chinesischen Turm (the Christmas market at the Chinese tower inside the English Garden)
- Mittelaltermarkt und Adventsspektakel (Head back to the time of knights, damsels, and peasants at the Middle Ages Market and Advent Spectacle)
- The Christkindl Tram (a ride in the Christkindl tram)
- Amazing Holiday
- Christmas in Germany
- Christmas Market
- Christmas shop
- city escape
- great travel
- Holiday and Trips
- holiday in germany
- Most beautiful Christmas Markets
- popular destination
- Romantic Road
- Trip to Bavaria
- Trip to Germany
- true wonder
- world travel